Science shop as a concept was born on citizens’ demand for the universities to help answer questions and challenges of their own communities. It has evolved into various shapes and forms over the years but the core mission is the same: to engage citizens, civil society organizations and public bodies in education and research related collaborations with the university, always keeping an eye on public benefit. 在实践中, the incoming questions or requests are transformed into course assignments, 实习, 论文或研究项目 .
的 whole point of these collaborations is to genuinely serve the community as well as higher education purposes, thus creating opportunities for mutual learning and at the same time benefiting civil society. 作为中介和促进者, science shop actively seeks partnerships, offers coordination and support in order to balance various expertise, 的观点和利益.
欧洲人文大学 和 葡京网址直营社区参与办公室 operates the two-year OSUN Science Shop program in Austria, Belarus, Hungary and Lithuania. 这个项目是由 开放社会大学网络(OSUN), and runs between August 2021 and July 2023. Join us in the celebration of the the first-year anniversary on June 15, 在哪里实现课程项目, 实习 and a thesis work will be showcased. 的 混合的事件 takes place between 5 – 6(:30), you can 注册在这里.
的 project focuses on stimulating engaged and experiential learning through student projects, 嵌入在课程课程中. 的 aim is to promote academic practices that harmonize learning objectives with the needs of community partners who work for the greater good. 换句话说, 设计课程, 实习 和ses that are real-world, 有效的和community-facing.
Imagine a scenario where the aim is to reduce littering in parks.
- An environmental studies intern samples parks and playgrounds and conducts a study on the level and type of contamination 和ir possible effects on human health 和 urban ecosystem.
- A university course on urban studies with 3 groups of students are tasked to do benchmark research on urban programs from around the world that aim to mitigate littering, with a special focus on parks and playgrounds.
- 根据他们的发现, they suggest solutions that are feasible, 评估成功/失败因素. Student groups compete to offer the best solutions, including innovative ideas such as gamifying (e.g. turning trash disposal into a sort of game where trashcans can be decorated with googly eyes, or a small basketball hoop is placed over them.) 的y deliver a presentation on their project results to which local citizens are invited.
- Students at another university course run by the cultural heritage department design an art-based workshop with school kids to underst和ir perception of littering: does it bother them? Do they think it’s an inherent part of city life/environment? It also includes an exercise for the school kids to discuss this topic with their parents.
- One of the university students of the cultural heritage class relishes the project so much, 作为一个副产品, they decide to make it their thesis work. 的 research is about the cultural and socio-economic factors that influence the perception of littering.
- 的 Field 研究 and data analysis course students synthesize the results of the above activities and invite citizens to join the course project research. 的 neighborhood group together with the students, 由教授指导, set up an interview guideline that aims to better underst和 attitudes behind littering, and what people think on how it can be avoided. Pairs of students and citizens approach people in parks and playgrounds, 进行15个面试, 分析它们, 准备一份报告.
- 最后, the Science shop invites the neighborhood group (initiators) and all other stakeholders (park management, 直辖市, other citizens from nearby as well as students and professors) to celebrate the research process, showcase results and discuss future possibilities – to see which recommendations can be implemented.